If there’s one thing we’ve learned about the suburbs from movies (Stepford Wives, American Beauty) and TV series (Desperate Housewives, Weeds) is that the its picture-perfect façade is not always what is seems. Just as the Altmans learned when they moved to the ‘burbs’ in ABC’s new sitcom, Suburgatory. In this comedy series, the suburbs can be scary yet also hilarious.
Doing his best to raise his sixteen-year-old daughter, single dad George Altman decides to pack up their lives and move to a more wholesome and nurturing environment when he discovers a box of condoms in her bedroom. They trade in the city that never sleeps for the suburban life with its better school and cleaner air. But behind the picket fences, perfectly manicured lawns and tree-lined streets lurk the zombie stroller moms who liypsync to gangster rap, spray tans, lawnvy & garden hoses, nose jobs, and Red Bull-guzzling teens who have nothing in common with hi daughter, Tessa. They found themselves in a whole new world: a town made of plastic where the teeth are whiter, the clothes are tighter (even dogs have nicer hair), the teachers are fools and the boys are tools…where it’s not quite hell… it’s Suburgatory.
Helping them navigate the pitfalls of suburban life are suburbanites Noah, George’s old college friend, flirty Alpha mom Dallas and awkward classmate Lisa. With time, they might even find that it isn’t so bad. Once they get past the plastic smell.
- Tessa Altman: a sarcastic, street-smart Manhattan born and bred teen who has been raised for the last fifteen years by her single father, George. She dreads the idea of living in the suburbs.
- George Altman: Tessa’s well-meaning architect father.
- Dalia Royce: George’s and Tessa’s neighbor who quickly becomes her nemesis at school.
- Dallas Royce: Dalia’s mother and a well-to-do housewife and the. She tells George that her absentee husband “travels a lot”
- Lisa Shay: a socially awkward girl at school who befriends Tessa.
- Noah Werner: George’s college buddy and a dentist who moved to the suburbs some years earlier.
- Mr. Wolfe: Tessa’s clueless guidance counselor.
- Jane Levy as Tessa Altman
- Jeremy Sisto as George Altman
- Cheryl Hines as Dallas Royce
- Carly Chaikin as Dalia Royce
- Allie Grant as Lisa Shay
- Alan Tudyk as Noah Werner
- Rex Lee as Mr. Wolfe
September 28, 2011 (WEDNESDAYS), 8:30/7:30c on ABC
- Dan Byrd (Cougar Town) will guest star as Josh Sherman, Chatswin High’s latest transplant and Tessa’s new ally—or so she thinks.