In Home Improvement, we saw Tim Allen as Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor in a ‘manly’ setting surrounded by power tools, cars, beer and dad to three rambunctious boys. In ABC’s new comedy sitcom, Last Man Standing, Allen returns to TV as Mike Baxter, still with a ‘manly’ job in an outdoor sports company where there is fishing and hunting. But this time, he is a grandpa in a household filled with women.
Last Man Standing
The series follows Mike Baxter who works at the sporting goods man-cave, Outdoor Man, where he was taken off from his thrilling magazine expositions and stuck in front of the computer to supervise the company’s website. His wife receives a promotion at work so he must spend more time with his three daughters who are not prepared for their old-fashioned, hotheaded father to take over. Fighting to reclaim his masculinity within a female-dominated household, he expresses his biggest concern with the 21st century: “What happened to men?” In today’s overly metrosexual world, Mike takes as stand as the The Last Man Standing.
I know I’m a reality TV junkie… but this premise reminds of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. You have Bruce Jenner, an athlete and an Olympic decathlon champion, who is surrounded by women in his family (they both even have a baby boy grandkid) and very hands on with the kids now that Kris Jenner is has her hands full with the older daughters’ careers. Is this art imitating ‘scripted’ life? Although, in the “reality’s” case, Bruce seems to embrace the estrogen-filled life.
Last Man Standing Characters
- Mike Baxter: A typical man’s man who is a marketing director of Outdoor Man. He is trying to survive living in woman’s world and with the help of his co-workers, Ed and Kyle, he uses the Outdoor Man video log to vent his aggression towards today’s overly metrosexual world.
- Vanessa Baxter: Mike’s dedicated wife and caring mother/grandmother. A wisecracking geologist, she took a break from her career to raise her three children and recently re-entered the work force. She received a promotion shortly after, leaving less time for her family, prompting Mike to step up with the parenting
- Kristin Baxter: the eldest daughter and an independent 20-year-old single mom to Boyd. She has a more of a liberal approach to raising him for Mike’s taste. She works as a waitress in a diner and recently moved back in with her family.
- Mandy Baxter: A self-centered 17-year-old who loves spending her father’s weekly income during “Shop ’til you Drop Saturday.” She spends her free time updating her website, Mandyland, and going out for mani-pedis with her boyfriend, Travis. She’s a typical teen who texts, blogs and vlogs.
- Eve Baxter: the youngest daughter who is a bit of a tomboy. Tough and athletic, she plays soccer and isn’t interested in clothes, make-up or what her hair looks like. She is Mike’s little buddy.
- Ed Alzate: Mike’s thick-skinned, opinionated boss and owner of Outdoor Man. He wrote the book on how to live a man’s life and coaches Mike on problems at work as well as at home.
- Kyle: Mike’s charming, naive subordinate desperately in need of a dominant male role model. He does mindless, humiliating tasks at Outdoor Man that no one else will do.
- Tim Allen as Mike Baxter
- Nancy Travis as Vanessa Baxter
- Alexandra Krosney as Kristin Baxter
- Molly Ephraim as Mandy Baxter
- Kaitlyn Dever as Eve Baxter
- Christoph Sanders as Kyle
- Héctor Elizondo as Ed Alzate
October 11, 2011 (TUEDAYS), 8/7c on ABC