Dancing with the Stars is an ABC a reality competition where a celebrity is paired with a professional dancer to perform a predetermined dance. The pair competes against the others for judges’ points and audience votes. Whichever couple receives the lowest combined total of judges’ points and audience votes is eliminated until the champion dance pair remains.
Dancing with the Stars
Past celebrity contestants include professional and Olympic athletes, supermodels, actors, singers, an astronaut and teen-heartthrobs. Wouldn’t it be great, though, if they can get A-list celebrities like Will Smith, Brad Pitt, Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, etc.? I’ve also noticed that it’s become the show that stars (who have gained a bit of weight) join to lose the pounds.
Season 13 “Stars”
This season’s celebrities include:
- David Arquette an actor and a producer. He starred in a lot of films in the 90’s, best known for the movie Scream where he met his now ex-wife, Courtney Cox. He is paired with Kym Johnson.
- Ron Artest or also known as Metta World Peace (what he legally changed his name to) is a small forward for the Los Angeles Lakers. He is paired with Peta Murgatroyd.
- Chaz Bono a transgender activist & author. His parents are Cher and the late Sonny Bono. He is paired with Lacey Schwimmer.
- Elisabetta Canalis is an Italian model & actress. I know her as George Clooney’s ex-girlfriend. She is paired with Valentin Chmerkovskiy.
- Kristin Cavallari from the now defunct Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County and its spin-off, The Hills reality shows. She is paired with Mark Ballas.
- Nancy Grace a legal commentator, former Prosecutor and host of Nancy Grace, a nightly celebrity news and current affairs show on HLN. She was also the host of Swift Justice with Nancy Grace, a syndicated courtroom reality show. She is paired with Tristan MacManus.
- Rob Kardashian of the Keeping Up with the Kardashians and Khloe and Lamar reality shows. He is paired with Cheryl Burke.
- Carson Kressley a fashion expert, author & TV host. He was one of the “Fab Five” in the cancelled television program Queer Eye where he was the fashion expert. He currently has show on the Oprah Winfrey Network called Carson Nation. He is paired with Anna Trebunskaya. As an openly gay guy, it would have been interesting if he was paired with another guy.
- Ricki Lake an actress and former host of The Ricki Lake Show. She had a reality series called Charm School with Ricki Lake. She is best known for her starring role as Tracy Turnblad in the original Hairspray. She is paired with Derek Hough.
- J.R. Martinez is an actor, motivational speaker and an army veteran. He played Brot Monroe in ABC’s daytime drama, All My Children. While serving as a United States Army infantryman in Iraq, he sustained severe burns to over 40 percent of his body. He is paired with Karina Smirnoff.
- Chynna Phillips is a singer and member of the Wilson Phillips vocal group. She is also known for being the daughter of The Mamas & the Papas band members John and Michelle Phillips. She appeared in a few films in the 80’s. She is paired with Tony Dovolani.
- Hope Solo is the US Women’s Soccer Team’ goalkeeper. She is paired with Maksim Chmerkovskiy.
The show is hosted by Tom Bergeron and Brooke Burke-Charvet with Carrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli as judges.
Season 13 Premiere
September 19, 2011 (MONDAYS), 8/7c with the Results Show on TUESDAYS, 9/8c on ABC