The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair

Flying Brian Banana Hammock July 28, 2010 177

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair is the fourth book in the series of Christian allegories by C.S. Lewis. This time, young children are charged with finding and rescuing the son of Caspian, who is currently a king of Narnia.

The Silver Chair is the first film in the series to not include the Pevensie children, who have thus far been the main characters in the series. The main characters are Eustace Scrubb and her schoolmate Jill Pole. Scrubb will be introduced to the series this fall in the third film in the series, The Dawn Treader. No doubt Jesus will make an appearance in Lion form.

Trailer

Not yet, it is at least 2 years away people!

The Scoop

Very little is known about the film at present. No director or writer has been announced, and it looks like the studio may be waiting for The Dawn Treader to release before they commit to the next film in the series. However, we hear it is based on Eustace Scrubb and Jill Pole who set off on a magical journey in order to rescue King Caspian’s stolen son.

Who’s It For?

PG, maybe PG-13.

Movie Release Date

Possibly 2014, could be 2015 before The Silver Chair hits theaters.

Who’s In It?

Will Poulter is playing Scrubb in Dawn Treader, so he’ll probably return for The Silver Chair, maybe Ben Barnes will return as Caspian, and no doubt Liam Neeson will play Aslan again.

Interesting Fact

After writing the Chronicles of Narnia, C.S Lewis went on to start Scientology. He later published a rewrite of the Narnia series where Aslan is an alien who lives in a volcano. For some reason, it didn’t catch on.

Related Movies

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

What’s Good About It?

I’ve enjoyed the Narnia series thus far. Dawn Treader looks good, and I expect to enjoy The Silver Chair as well.

What’s Bad About It?

I doubt it’ll be released in 2011. These are special effects heavy films, and if they’re waiting on box office returns for Dawn Treader, there’s no way a quality film will be ready within a year.

Our Clever Prediction

I’m betting it’ll get made. The others have been pretty successful, and this should be as well. I suspect a solid box office, with good reviews.

177 Comments »

1. Charlotte Carlos September 13, 2010 at 8:37 am -

WOW! Great facts gus. but does anyone know anything else about casting and so on, i wanna be involved!(Coming from a represented actress)

2. SPeterson August 31, 2010 at 11:07 am -

I agree with Jesse and K. The founder of Scientology is L. Ron Hubbard. http://www.aboutlronhubbard.org/

What other series are you referring to?

3. Jesse Baker August 23, 2010 at 10:38 am -

Lewis had absolutely nothing to do with Scientology…unless he was trying to prove the truth of Christianity to people involved with Scientology. Either way Lewis became a Christian a little before the time he began writing Narnia which is why, overall, the series tells a Christian story. Aslan being murdered on the stone table and coming back to life represents Christ. It’s obvious how Christian these books are and it’s also obvious Lewis had nothing to do with Scientology. I’m not sure why you said that in the interesting fact, but I suggest you take it out so you don’t mislead people who are misinformed. Thank You!

4. K August 19, 2010 at 7:33 pm -

Lewis did not start Scientology – get your facts straight!

• Brian August 19, 2010 at 11:11 pm -

@K, Clearly you’ve never read the second series of books.

Have you ever seen the tattoo on Tom Cruise’s back? Huge Lion. In a volcano.

Get YOUR facts straight, sister.

5. Justin Observation. August 1, 2010 at 6:18 am -

Much like the fate of “The Magicians Nephew” and “The Horse and His Boy”, I predict they will be skipping “The Silver Chair” all together. Mostly because these three potentially good book to film adaptaions all suffer from the same flaws, The main of which is the lack of the Pevensies. Put yourself in developer and writers shoes.

You have spent three movies putting the Pevensie children through various phases of character development, just to spend an entire two hour block with no original faces. Sure you can lose Peter and Susan ofr “The Dawn Treader” on the bases of “They have learned all they can from Narnia” which is a good move, since that is accurate to the original story .

Especially since you still retain the believer Lucy, and the ever developing Edmund. And even with all this, In the new “Dawn Treader” trailer, it has a money shot of all four Pevensies, indicating Peter and Susan have made some sort of a return trip, or maybe even a direct cliffhanger for “The Last Battle”. I am mostly gussing there, but its a pretty good possibilty.

However, The sixth book in the series focus’ around Eustace and Jill. Two realatively new characters that make small appearances in the series’ grand finally “The Last Battle”. I think the removal of “The Silver Chair” will benefit the Movies with little cuts to the main storyline as long as the writers are creative enough to tie “Dawn Treader” and “The Last Battle” together with minimal damage to the subplot and introductions brought to life in “The Silver Chair”. Namely the appearance of Jill Pole, who plays a importent role in the final book.

If Disney does decide to put the front for “The Silver Chair”, I expect we will see a dramatic change of events, as we have in the first two movies. Adding battles in areas of the storyline where none happened, or tweeking it here and there to make the experiance a little more intersting for film. As for Ben Barnes suspected return. He would be barely recognizeable, as King Caspian X is a old man at the end of his reign. I guess they could always pull him off as his own son. Having Ben play Prince Rilian, they may even go as far as to put him as King Trilian, from “The Last Battle” as well.

All in all, I would gladly see another tale of C.S. Lewis on the big screen. Though, of all the older film adaptations (and the book series itself). “The Silver Chair” was by far the slowest of all for me, not for flaws in the story, As much as I simply lost the connections I had made to the Primary characters of the series. Thus killing a part of my interest. Though, I am quite sure that “The Voyage of The Dwan Treader” will reveal where our next journey in the Land Behind the Wardrobe shall be.

• Brian August 1, 2010 at 6:46 pm -

@Justin Observation.,

Holy crap, you wrote a book about it. I could only get through the first two paragraphs before I decided you probably just knew what you were talking about.

Bravo.